Friday, August 10, 2012

FoodNoob: Munificence

I often hear how the world is going to hell in a handbasket. People say that no one exercises compassion anymore. Yesterday I received evidence to the contrary.

#1 Delivered Home Cooking

In two days three different families have delivered home cooked meals to our home. Some are friends we have known for a while. One is a neighbor we have known for less than two months. The list of food is sumptuous: goulash, peanut butter bars, pasta filled with pasta (has to be seen to be believed), vegetable soup, raisin bread, polenta and more.

#2 The Omaha Steak Trunk

My aunt lives in Long Island. She is enough of a character to inspire six books and a movie trilogy. She has been sending us clothes for the baby non-stop. Then she realized we may need help with the food. She was unaware of my new endeavor. In any case on our doorstep today was a styrofoam box the size of an army footlocker. It was from Omaha Steaks. It contained the largest collection of frozen food I have seen in ages. And since this was my aunt it was half desserts and half dinners. Lasagna, cod, green beans, potatoes, tiramisu, cheesecake and more are now stored in the freezer. We have enough food for a week from Omaha.

#3 Cook Books

In the deep wilds of Illinois lives Aaron. After reading the food blog he sent me two books:



These are great books for beginners. They are very specific and make easy good tasting food. Thanks Aaron.

Shortly after reading them I picked four or five recipes, entered the ingredients into the Our Groceries SW and went to the store. There I purchased more produce than I ever had before. It took about an hour to collect everything. When I arrived at home I was relaxed for the first time in ages as I know I don't just have food in the fridge but I have a food plan for a week.

This is all a new experience for me.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it sounds like you are doing great! So glad that you have so much ready-made food in the fridge and freezer, plus a plan for a whole week.

    ReplyDelete