Saturday, March 24, 2012

Bernadette: Introduction

Hi, all,

I'm Bernadette. I like to eat, cook, and write. I'm a mom of a three year old girl and I have another baby on the way. As a mom, I focus on helping my toddler to eat balanced meals (some days are great and other days are a struggle and some days it's hard to accomplish this even for myself) and I try to expose her to a wide variety of cuisines. And of course, I am also trying to eat healthfully and well during my pregnancy.

I not only like cooking and eating but I also like the stories connected to food. There are a lot of stories behind family recipes as they get passed down from one generation to the next, and I like learning about different cultures through food. I am Filipina and my husband is Jewish, so I'll most likely focus on Filipino and Jewish recipes, particularly since I've had a hankering for comfort food - which is Filipino food for me - and Passover is coming up so seder food is soon to be on the menu. I think food links us to cultural traditions - it's one of the easiest ways to share it - and I want my children to feel connected to their heritage.

That's about all I have to say for now, but hopefully, I'll be back soon with a recipe for empanadas....

No comments:

Post a Comment