Saturday, April 14, 2012

Lisa: Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal

I had never heard of overnight refrigerator oatmeal until I saw it on Pinterest. Had to give it a try last week.


Though the little jar idea is cute, I elected to just triple the one-jar recipe and then add toppings later so that the fruit would be fresh and each person could have whatever portion size and topping they wanted. I used honey, oats, chia, Greek yogurt, and milk, as the recipe recommended. In the morning, I topped with fresh chopped mangoes and strawberries.

Verdict: A hearty breakfast. I liked it but didn't adore it, though would consider making it again as an easy way to include chia in our diet. After all, I have a giant bagful of chia seeds waiting around in my cupboard. I thought the chia softened up to a nice, less-crunchy texture, after soaking overnight. The oats? Well, they were a little to "oaty" for me. I think I prefer the comfort of cooked oatmeal. My 6-year-old ate it up, but the 4-year-old rejected it. But perhaps if I did the cocoa-banana-peanut butter version, everyone might gobble it up? And with summer and berry season just around the corner, I think I'll be more in the mood for something cool and yogurt-y.

I will probably try this again sometime, but perhaps with variations. Maybe I'll even just soak chia in Greek yogurt overnight and forgo the oats entirely, or reduce the amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment