Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Tiffanie: this week's menu

We just came back from two weeks in Orlando and a cruise, so I am so very grateful that my CSA box comes today. It was a fun and educational vacation (we attended a conference on the cruise), but the food did not agree with me! Everything tasted so processed and salty and fake, and they were not prepared for vegetarians/vegans. We stayed for a few days at the Hilton (which has lovely breakfast food), and Evan was trying to get a vegan sandwich made out of their sun dried tomato hummus. He'd eaten it as a meal (it's an appetizer) twice and wanted to branch out a bit, and they were really friendly about it. But when it arrived! Ha, it was a tortilla with a ridiculous amount of hummus in it, and that's it. It looked like a fat hummus burrito. Another time he wanted the breakfast burrito with no meat/dairy in it, but forgot to also mention no eggs... I guess vegans are a Californian thing. :-)

Anyways, this week! It's practically over, but I've got two meals planned...

Today: vegetable curry with tofu and rice. Simple, easy, fast.
Thursday/Friday: vegetable soup made with whatever I have on hand from the CSA box, and homemade bread. On the second day I'll add pasta or rice to the soup to change it up.

Here's what I get in the box today:
  • Arugula
  • Red/Purple Radishes
  • Loose Chantenay Carrots
  • Leeks
  • Winter Squash (Marina Di Chioggia, Long Island Cheese Pumpkin, Carnival, or Delicata) 
  • OR Loose Red Beets
  • Broccoli Shoots
  • Red Leaf Lettuce
  • Oyster Mushrooms
The leeks and carrots will go in the soup, along with the celery root from the last box I picked up. I hope I get beets, as I'm swamped with winter squash. The arugula and broccoli shoots would be good sauteed with garlic over pasta. Maybe with the mushrooms. Radishes I like to eat raw, or on salad. I should make some simple ginger potato squash soup with all those winter squashes soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment